Sunday, May 31, 2009

Notes on the Feminine Mystique

I've decided to read The Feminine Mystique by Betty Friedan. I often find myself disagreeing with feminist concepts when they have come up in conversation or in my own personal study. I have also found that Christian women sometimes differ greatly in their opinions on the equality of women in society, in the workplace, in the home and in the church. Since I feel have done a decent amount of study biblically on the issue, I have decided to look more deeply into the root issues of American Feminism from the perspective of a woman who is known to be a great entrepreneur in this area. There is a quote on the front of the book, (at least the edition currently in my possession), that states, "(The Feminine Mystique) changed the world so comprehensively that it's hard to remember how much change was called for." - New York Times Book Review. On the first page of the book one quote reads, "The most important book of the twentieth century is The Feminine Mystique. Betty Friedan is to women what Martin Luther King Jr. was to blacks." - Barbara Seaman, author of Free and Female. Apparently, this work is taken very seriously, so what better way to see a different perspective?

I sat down at the Salem Public Library yesterday and began to read this book. A couple of pages into it I was agreeing with some statements, disagreeing with others and am not knowledgeable enough of a few areas to even have an opinion yet. It occurred to me that I would like to discuss this book with people and not just read it... yell at it... and most likely throw it across the room. Therefore, I am starting a blog... this blog to be exact. So, as I brave through the waters of a book that catapulted a movement I've never been fond of, I hope that you will give me your opinions of the statements I make and answer questions that I ask. If I only have myself I'm definitely going to form incorrect opinions. I'm a sinner and I need accountability in all areas, even if I have the best of motives.

All this to say, I really want this conversation about feminism to glorify the Lord. I hope and pray that reading this book and discussing it will bring me (and whoever else wants to participate) closer to knowing what the Lord desires for His daughters and the amazing love and plans that He has for each of us.

I'll post my first thoughts on the first section of the book soon!

-Melissa

3 comments:

  1. Melsky,

    I will try my best to keep up with comments. It sounds interesting and if I wasn't already reading a book and said 12 more others to read I would start this one with you.

    Kristy V.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm so excited! Will I need to purchase a copy of the book to go along with you or will your posts be adequate for me to know what is being discussed?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'll leave lots of quotes so you dont have to buy it unless you want to read it :)

    ReplyDelete