Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Chapter 2

Feminine Mystique
Chapter 2: The Happy Housewife Heroine

1. She has started quoting her references and that makes me happy.

2. My thought on the chapter:

I find myself being disgusted with the same ideas that Friedan is upset about when it comes to the "Picture Perfect Housewife." I'm not sure if we agree for quite the same reasons... I feel that outward appearances mean very little. Looking happy, fit and put together does not result in happiness at any level. Friedan talks about a popular women's magazine of the day: "The image of woman that emerges from this big, pretty magazine is young and frivolous, almost childlike; fluffy and feminine; passive; gaily content in a world of bedroom and kitchen, sex, babies, and home. The magazine surely does not leave out sex; the only passion, the only pursuit, the only goal a woman is permitted is the pursuit of a man. It is crammed full of food, clothing, cosmetics, furniture, an the physical bodies of young women, but where is the world of thought and ideas, the life of the mind and the spirit? In the magazine image, women do no work except housework and work to keep their bodies beautiful and to get and keep a man." p36
If this is true, if this is what these women were looking to for guidance, then I agree wholeheartedly that this is an issue! First of all, I think looking to culture and society for guidance is going in the incorrect direction. This is, of course, because I am a believer. If I were not, where else would I look than Oprah and Cosmopolitan?

"Occupation: Housewife." Friedan describes that some women were feeling inferior when they had to write 'housewife' on their census papers. They felt that they had wasted their education and goals and were now living vicariously through their children. They were not satisfied with what they had done. Before I say the next thing, let me preface with this: I do not think that every women is best suited as a housewife and I do not think there is anything wrong with a career woman. I think that both men and women need to make sure that their family is not being neglected because of that career. My question to these women would be: Why are you doing what you're doing? Are you a housewife simply because you think that is what 'the perfect woman' does? Then of course you are not satisfied! We need to ask ourselves what the purpose is behind any actions we take. The motivations behind the action is what will end up giving it fulfillment or making it feel empty.

The Pendulum Swing: Throughout every issue in history there is a pendulum swing. We go form one extreme to the other. Friedan talks about how the spirited women of the 20's and 30's become the submissive housewives of the 50's. I say it's the pendulum. We are all reacting to the things we did not like from the previous generation... the things that did not work out so well for our parents. Aren't we still doing that today? I talk to more women who want to be stay at home moms now because their mom's worked too much and never spent enough time with them. Maybe, then, our daughters will say that we gave up the chance at a greater purpose in life and they will ride the pendulum swing the other way. We shall see.

Politics and World Relations: One thing I definitely agree with Friedan about is that women are completely capable of understanding and being involved in politics and world affairs. God gave us brains and the ability to comprehend all of these things, obviously we need not be excluded form them.

Control: It seems that the goal of the 50's housewives was to have everything under complete control. That, as we know, is impossible. They wanted their kids to be perfect, they wanted to be able to control their husbands and run a well-oiled home. These are unattainable goals that even if they were attained have no redeeming results. We, as women, would still feel empty because we have done nothing for a greater purpose.

"A baked potato is not as big as the world, and vacuuming the living room floor - with or without makeup - is not work that takes enough thought or energy to challenge any woman's full capacity."p67 I agree. However, I do know some women who are not interested in intellectual stimulation for even world affairs, and there's nothing wrong with that. We are all created differently. I would not reach my full capacity by vacuuming floors either. I'm glad that I am not asked to. It seems that these women were asked to, and I understand, then, why they felt so empty. I grew up believing that it is more important to be pretty than to be smart, and my society tries to re-instill this in me everyday. Now if you are lucky enough to be pretty AND smart, you've got no issues. I also do not believe any of this and I think it all stems from the same place. Who are in we in Christ? The ONLY fulfilled women that I know are those who are confident in their identity as daughters of our Lord.

2 comments:

  1. Hey, just started reading this. The first thing I thought about was both of my grandmothers - and their effects on my own mother. These are heavy issues. I will write more later, I hope. For now...need to start on my own blog!

    ReplyDelete